Who said paleo brownies can’t be delicious? Perfect flavor combination in this decadent paleo chocolate dessert – flour, sugar and dairy-free! And to top it all, it’s an incredibly easy recipe!
What’s more, this paleo brownie recipe calls for no chocolate at all, so it is completely sugar and dairy free!
Paleo brownies recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl; 2 cups (200 g) almond flour (ground almonds), 1 1/6 cups (250 g) xylitol, 1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa-powder and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- Separate 4 eggs. Add the yolks of the 4 eggs to your dry ingredients with the remaining 1 whole egg. Keep your 4 whites in a separate bowl.
- Melt your coconut oil, if necessary. Add melted coconut oil to the almond flour mixture.
- Stir your cocoa-almond-egg-coconut oil mixture thoroughly with a whisk.
- Whip your 4 egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Add your beaten egg whites to your cocoa mixture in 3-4 larger portions. Mix gently with a spatula.
- Lightly grease your pan.
- Pour your batter into the pan and make it even with an offset spatula. You don’t need to get a completely smooth surface, it will get its final shape while baking.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Please note that this is an estimation, the exact baking time will depend on your oven. Remember, a perfect brownie is moist on the inside. Your brownies need to be soft when you touch them. Inserting a toothpick or a fork, you want some batter still sticking to it. In just a few minutes your moist paleo brownies can turn into a dry horror. The best way to avoid that is to check your brownies every minute after 40-45 minutes.
- Remove your brownies from the oven. Let them cool to room temperature.
- Serve your brownies in squares (bars) traditionally, or in slices as seen on the pictures, warm or cold. You can see my paleo brownies topped with paleo whipped cream in one of the pics. That’s simply whipped thick coconut milk, and makes them even more delicious.
You can vary the amount of xylitol according to your taste. If you follow my recipe, your paleo brownies will be as sweet as original brownies.
I used virgin coconut oil, which gives an extra coconut aroma to your paleo brownies. I strongly recommend you to try it!
Your batter will look lumpy at this stage. But don’t worry, the end result will be perfect.
I used a 9 inch round cake pan (23 cm) for this recipe. I also lined it with parchment paper. This way I got a tart shaped brownie, a bit odd at first sight I admit. Or you can use an 8 x 8 inch (20×20 cm) pan for your paleo brownies.