To post a hard boiled egg recipe might seem a bit controversial at first. I find many people would not even bother writing about how to cook eggs, considering this a basic skill.
Nevertheless, a hard boiled eggs recipe is just as important and necessary as any other recipe. You need precise instructions to get your eggs perfect. Now let’s see the tricks and tips of making the perfect hard boiled eggs.
Hard Boiled Eggs Recipe
- Put your eggs in a pot, cover them with room temperature water.
- Bring the water to a simmer over high heat, covered. Turn down the heat immediately to low.
- Cook for exactly 8 minutes.
- Remove your pan from the heat. Rinse your eggs with cold water several times. Let them rest in cold water for at least 10 minutes to let them cool completely.
- Peel your eggs under cold running water.
Tips For Making The Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
- To get perfect hard boiled eggs, don’t use fresh eggs. Look for those just before the expiration date. This will make peeling your eggs much easier and they will look nice.
- Bring your eggs up to room temperature before cooking, to prevent cracking. If you store your eggs in the fridge, leave them in warm water for 10 minutes before cooking.
- Cooking time for hard boiled eggs is 8 minutes, from the moment your water comes to a boil. Never really boil your eggs, use the lowest heat possible with a gentle simmer. (If you cook your eggs longer, the outer side of your yolk will get an unpleasant greenish-blueish color.
- Once your eggs are cooked, remove them from the heat and rinse them with cold water several times. Your goal is to cool off the eggs in order to peel them easily.
- When both the eggs and the saucepan are cooled of completely, let the eggs sit in cold water at least for 10 minutes.
- Break the eggs on a large surface. I usually roll them back and forth with my palm on the working surface. Then rinse them with cold water again and start peeling them carefully. By following these instructions you will have pretty looking and perfect hard boiled eggs.