This creamy beet salad is not only delicious, but healthy and extremely easy to make, with only a few ingredients. It can be eaten as an appetizer or salad, but goes well with any kind of roasted or deep fried meat, especially wiener schnitzel.
Beet or beetroot is considered one of the healthiest vegetables. It’s rich in vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Beets also contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.
The only difficulty you’ll come across while preparing this creamy beet salad is handling the beets. You need to peel them and cook them, and of course everything around you (including your fingers) is going to get the harsh purple color. But don’t worry, you can clean them easily with cold water.
Alternately you can buy peeled and cooked beets online or in larger grocery stores. This way you can prepare this salad in literally 5 minutes, and you save all the mess in your kitchen. Make sure you buy cooked beets and not the pickled ones!
Creamy beet salad
- First peel your beets and cut them into 1/6 – 1/3 inch (0.5 – 1 cm) cubes.
- Cook them in as little water that bearly covers them. Add 1 tsp of salt to the water.
- Cook your beets for 6-8 minutes, so that they stay somewhat crunchy. Don’t overcook them!
- Drain your beets and save the cooking liquid.
- In a bowl, combine cream and 4 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Add remaining 1 tsp of salt, ground pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the creamy dressing over the warm beets. Toss.
- Add apple cider vinegar and toss again.
- Put it in the fridge and let it chill for at least 2 hours. Overnight is better.
- Toss before serving.
If you are using peeled and precooked beets, just cut them into cubes, and go to step 4.
For 2 1/5 punds (1 kg) beets I find I need about 20 ounces or 600 ml water.
Your creamy dressing will accumulate at the bottom of the bowl. But don’t worry, once this beet salad gets cold, the creamy dressing will cover your beets more evenly.
What To Do With Beet Juice
What you’re left with after making this creamy beet salad is basically beet juice. Just add 1-2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to this amount, and you get a very refreshing, delicious and healthy drink.
Source of beet nutrition facts: Mercola.com