What are the benefits of lemon? First of all, it’s a prefect ingredient for many kinds of foods and beverages: you can add some lemon juice to your tea – it makes it more delicious, or just drink a glass of lemonade – it’s one of the most refreshing drinks you can have in a hot summer day.
Lemon is a very popular and also a very common food ingredient: put some grated lemon or freshly squeezed lemon juice into your cakes or put it on meat, vegetables or fish and it will give the food a special, unique taste.
The health benefits of lemon
Beside the culinary use, lemon has many other advantages, especially in terms of health issues. The most well-known are the lemon having antibacterial and antiviral power, and its use to boost the immune system. It’s scientifically proven that this fruit helps your digestive tract and cleanse your liver which contributes to having a healthy metabolism. Lemon contains many vitamins such as vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, phosporus – these are vital elements of a well-functioning body.
Some less known facts about the benefits of lemon:
- Lemon can cure acne. Vitamin C and citric acid kills a kind of bacteria known to cause acne. The method is very simple: rub a slice of lemon across your face and 10 minutes later wash it off. Do this at least 2 times a day, and your acnes will disappear in no time!
- Lemon makes your teeth whiter. It’s a natural and low-cost way to whiten your teeth! Mix the squeezed lemon juice with baking soda and apply the mix to your teeth with a cotton swab for 1 minute and then gently wash your teeth with a soft toothbrush. It won’t be effective for the first time, you have to repeat it as many times as possible on a daily or weekly basis.
- Lemon makes your skin beautiful. If you have oily-skin, lemon is the perfect cure for you! Wash your face with a lemon juice and lavender oil mixture before sleeping, and wash it down in the morning. Lemon also makes your skin flexible and keeps it young and soft. Your only task is to anoint your body with a homemade cleanser made of lemon juice, lavender or chamomile oil and yogurt.
- Lemon can heal hypertension. Apart from garlic and onions, lemon is said to be the most efficient natural remedy to hypertension – especially when you mix them! Put onions and garlic into cold milk, then add some lemon juice and sip it throughout the day. It’s an old and proven way to cure hypertension!
- Lemon can make you awake and fights fatigue. It’s a quick and cheap way to refresh yourself when you’re sleepy and tired. Just eat a slice of lemon, or add some lemon juice to your water. Or – as travelers often do – put a straw into the lemon and drink its juice. Quick-acting and very powerful!
Just a sample of some of the other benefits of lemon out of thousands upon thousands: lemons can make your nails stronger; it can be used to do away with dandruff and dry hair; can erase eczema; it soothes chapped lips; cures calluses and corns; can fight against cold and flu; can help allay fever; can calm anxiety and pulverize pain.
Use lemon in your food, drink its juice to naturally increase your daily vitamin C intake!
Thanks for the picture to André Karwath.