Saucy meaty and with vegetables, the Menudo is a staple dish in a Filipino kitchen. Another thing about the menudo is that it’s also a standard during festivities as it can be cooked in large portions and can easily be served to house guests.
Adding a Spanish flare with its rich tomato based sauce, the menudo is an easy to make recipe that you can prepare ahead for an on-the-go day while still be a good-to-eat meal the following day.
Classic Filipino Menudo Recipe
- To make the classic Filipino menudo, first prepare your ingredients.
- With the oil, seer the pork fat until slightly brown over medium-high heat in a wok or a pan. Remove and set aside.
- Then using the same wok or pan, flash fry the liver until outer part is cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté the onions until translucent, then add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the pork belly, stir until the meat is slightly brown.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Stir until the vegetables sweat or roughly 1-2 minutes.
- Add the hotdog, stir again for another minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- After the first 15 minutes, add the bell peppers and liver. You may also add 1 cup of water again if the sauce has reduced to a low. Then let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Menudo is best served over jasmine rice.