Prosciutto pizza is a big favorite in Italian pizzerias, either served with or without arugula. In this simple prosciutto pizza recipe I give you all the tricks and tips you need to make it at home.
Prosciutto pizza is a great example why we love Italian cuisine so much. Very simple ingredients – in fact only one topping: prosciutto. Still it is such a delicious food with dozens of flavors in it. A great example of the good old saying, sometimes less is more.
Prosciutto Pizza Recipe
Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large prosciutto pizza.
- Preheat your oven to the highest heat possible.
- To make prosciutto pizza, first prepare the pizza dough. You can use store-bought, but it’s so simple to make it at home. Please refer to my pizza dough recipe to make your pizza dough at home.
- Form a ball from the dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape.
- Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan. Read my detailed instructions on how to shape your pizza dough by clicking on the link to get more help with this step.
- Put your tomato purée (passata) on top of your pizza dough, in the middle. With a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the tomato covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Drizzle a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some dried oregano and salt.
- Add your mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the tomato sauce.
- Put your prosciutto slices on your pizza. Make sure to cover it all, except the edges.
- Transfer your prosciutto pizza into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. For more detailed instructions on how to bake your pizza in a wall oven, click the link.
You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
Your prosciutto pizza is ready. Take it out of the oven, let it rest for a minute, and serve warm. Enjoy!