Pizza Trieste, or caramelized apple and Gorgonzola pizza is not a classic Italian pizza. It looks like it is an American invention. Still it has a very interesting, sweet and savory flavor profile.
When you search for pizza Trieste recipe online, most of them just top the pizza with cheese and apple, no sauce. I find this method very strange, and although the pizza might look nice in an oversaturated picture, sure it’s not the tasty one you’d like to try.
So I used a sour creme based pizza sauce, which might sound a bit intimidating at first. But believe me, the extra virgin olive oil and the light tanginess of the sour creme goes so well with these toppings that you’re gonna like it for sure!
Pizza Trieste Recipe
Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large pizza Trieste.
- Preheat your oven to the highest heat possible.
- To make pizza Trieste, first prepare the pizza dough. You can use store-bought, but it’s so simple to make it at home. Please refer to my pizza dough recipe to make your pizza dough at home.
- Form a ball from the dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape.
- Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan. Read my detailed instructions on how to shape your pizza dough by clicking on the link to get more help with this step.
- In a small bowl mix 3 tbsp of sour cream and 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil. This will serve as your pizza sauce for your Trieste pizza.
- Spread your sour creme sauce over the pizza dough. Starting from the middle with a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the sour creme covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Chop your rosemary.
- Sprinkle some salt and rosemary over the sauce.
- Add your mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the sauce.
- Cut your apple in quarters and remove the core. Slice it thinly, you need about 1/10 inch or 2-3 mm thick slices.
- Put your apple slices on top of your pizza.
- Crumble the Gorgonzola over your pizza.
- Transfer your pizza Trieste into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. For more detailed instructions on how to bake your pizza in a wall oven, click the link.
You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
Serve your pizza Trieste fresh and warm.