Let me tell you, this ham & artichoke pizza is my favorite pizza recipe these days. It is a simplified version of the famous pizza capricciosa, but it has the distinct flavors of Italian spiced ham (see recommendations) and the soft tanginess of artichoke hearts.
There is one secret to making the best out of a ham & artichoke pizza, and that’s using Italian prosciutto cotto. Nothing compares to its flavors, believe me. Try this pizza at home and never order pizza again!
Ham & Artichoke Pizza Recipe
Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large ham & artichoke pizza.
- Preheat your oven to the highest heat possible.
- To make ham & artichoke pizza, first prepare the pizza dough. You can use store-bought, but it’s so simple to make it at home. Please refer to my pizza dough recipe to make your pizza dough at home.
- Form a ball from the dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape.
- Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan. Read my detailed instructions on how to shape your pizza dough by clicking on the link to get more help with this step.
- Put your tomato purée (passata) on top of your pizza dough, in the middle. With a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the tomato covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Drizzle a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some dried oregano and salt.
- Add your mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the tomato sauce.
- Top your pizza with the cooked ham. Add it in whole slices or tear it to bite-size pieces.
- Cut artichoke hearts in 4 or 8. Place them on top of your pizza.
- Transfer your ham & artichoke pizza into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. For more detailed instructions on how to bake your pizza in a wall oven, click the link.
You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
Get your ham & artichoke pizza out of the oven, let it rest for a few minutes and serve hot.