This Gorgonzola pizza with caramelized red onions is a family favorite. It has the sharp flavors of the Gorgonzola cheese, and the mild, somewhat sweet flavors of the caramelized red onions. Both kids and grown-ups love it, so you can’t go wrong by preparing this pizza at home.
And it’s very easy to make. You just need 30 minutes to prepare the caramelized red onions, but you can do that in advance, even a few days earlier.
Gorgonzola Pizza Recipe With Caramelized Red Onions
Amounts in this recipe yield 1 large Gorgonzola pizza with caramelized red onions.
- First prepare the caramelized red onions. They take 30-35 minutes, so you can work with the dough while cooking your onions. Click on the link to see my caramelized red onions recipe.
- Preheat your oven to the highest heat possible.
- To make Gorgonzola pizza with caramelized red onions pizza, first prepare the pizza dough. You can use store-bought, but it’s so simple to make it at home. Please refer to my pizza dough recipe to make your pizza dough at home.
- Form a ball from the dough. Start by making a circular motion with the palm of your hand, with some pressure. Then release the pressure gradually until you get a nice ball shape.
- Put your pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Dust them with some more flour, and let them proof covered with a kitchen towel for another 15 minutes.
- Shape your dough to form a large, thin disk and place it in a pizza pan. Read my detailed instructions on how to shape your pizza dough by clicking on the link to get more help with this step.
- Put your tomato purée (passata) on top of your pizza dough, in the middle. With a back of a spoon or a ladle, using circular motions towards the edges, make sure the tomato covers your pizza dough. Leave an edge about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick.
- Drizzle a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some dried oregano and salt.
- Add your mozzarella cheese. Just tear it in bite size pieces, and place them over the tomato sauce.
- Crumble your Gorgonzola on top of your pizza, in about 1 teaspoon size pieces.
- Heap the caramelized red onions on top of the other toppings.
- Transfer your Gorgonzola pizza into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. For more detailed instructions on how to bake your pizza in a wall oven, click the link.
You need 280 g (10 oz) of dough for a regular size pizza, and 140 g (5 oz) for a small pizza.
If you are making more then one pizza, cut the dough into equal sizes, about 10 oz or 280g each and form a ball for each one of your pizzas.
Your Gorgonzola pizza with caramelized red onions is ready. Take it out of the oven, let it rest for a minute, and serve warm. Enjoy!