I use this caramelized red onions recipe as one of our family’s favorite pizza topping (with Gorgonzola cheese). This recipe yields one large or two small pizzas.
The secret ingredient gives it an extra caramel flavor and tanginess, making it irresistible. See below. 🙂
Caramelized Red Onions Recipe
And the secret ingredient is: Pomegranate syrup (a.k.a pomegranate molasses). Yes, this middle-eastern condiment goes extremely well with your caramelized red onions.
- Peel your red onions.
- Cut them in half, then into 3/8-5/8 inch (1-1,5 cm) slices.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet.
- Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil then red onions.
- Turn the heat down immediately to low – medium-low.
- Stir every 3-4 minutes for 30 min.
- Add 1/2 tbsp pomegranate syrup.
- Stir for 2 minutes.
These caramelized red onions are just delicious on their own, in a salad, or as a pizza topping for your vegetarian pizza.
Use them right away, or store them in the fridge in an air-tight container for days.